Friday, January 6, 2012

MK Restaurant Review

I think I might have found my new favorite restaurant in Chicago. The food I enjoyed on my recent visit was every bit as excellent as previous yelpers lead me to believe it would be. I was happy to find that the portion sizes were adequate: not too little, not too much. My co-diner often leaves hungry while I'm often stuffed and I think we both left just feeling full - which is a difficult thing for a restaurant to accomplish, especially when we both order the same entree.
But the thing that I truly enjoyed about my MK experience was the service. From the first moment of contact - making the reservation - everyone was exceedingly nice. They weren't nice in a creepy, I'm just doing this because I have to, sort of way, but in a way that was fairly genuine - showing that they take service seriously. And, while we were there there was a very slight issue with our food, which we were happy to overlook because everything was so great and it really wasn't a big deal, but when the issue came to their attention everyone on staff made sure that an apology was offered. Really, it was by-the-book service, but it was basically the first time (in ages) that I've received good service in a Chicago restaurant [note: after dropping out of culinary school I couldn't eat out for several years because I was so appalled by the lack of service, so it really does take a lot for me to compliment an establishment on their service].
Another plus: while this is a more "upscale" restaurant, there is very little pretension - a welcome experience! So many blase restaurants in this city have servers and bar tenders with attitude & it's really just a big turn off. This is a restaurant that my mid-western mother would find "fancy" and yet would feel completely comfortable in the atmosphere.
If I ate there every week I might get tired of the food, but as a location to have a "nice" dinner out I highly recommend it and doubt that it could be a disappointing experience.

868 N Franklin St
(between Chestnut St & Locust St)
Chicago, IL 60610
Neighborhood: Near North Side
(312) 482-9179

No comments:

Post a Comment