Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Kiva Review

It's Christmas eve, the forest in back is covered with a hard rime.  It gets foggy at night, and in the chill crystals form.  It's stunning.

I need to get to wrapping these presents.  I need to get out of these pajamas.  I need another cup of coffee.

I am Uncle Santa.  My brother is used to it, and over the years he's come to tolerate this annual demonstration of largess.  He teaches the kids the value of thrift 363 days of the year.  Twice Uncle trumps thrift.

To balance, this year E will have something a little different in her stocking.  It's thin in physical appearance but oh so not once opened and undertaken.  I have for her an account with Kiva.

As is described better in their own words (go to the site to learn the details), Kiva is an organization that facilitates micro-lending, with the lendee an entrepreneur, often individual, usually in a developing country.  Kiva bridges a credit-gap, allowing access to funding otherwise completely unavailable to those on the lower rungs of the economic ladder.  World Bank funds typically flow only into the pockets of the connected and powerful; these individuals are neither.  But perhaps what they lack in connection is made up for by other attributes.

That's the hope, anyway, and Kiva gives those of us fortunate enough to have discretionary resources the opportunity to put them to a better purpose.  E is 13.  Her Dad has a bent for numbers and investing.  I'm hoping this is a project they'll undertake together, leveraging the benefits of my modest contribution many-fold.

Thanks, Kiva, for what I hope will be the best thrice-given Christmas present ever.

3180 18th St
Ste 201

(between Treat Ave & Folsom St)
San Francisco, CA 94110
Neighborhood: Mission
(415) 358-7500

No comments:

Post a Comment